About Us

HISTORY

Bishop Baumgartner Memorial Catholic School (BBMCS) has a very rich history. In 1945, Bishop Apollinaris William Baumgartner, OFM Cap, D.D., arrived on Guam and began laying the foundation for Guam’s Catholic school system. In 1949, Cathedral Grade School (CGS) became the first Catholic elementary school on Guam and was administered by Sister Mary Inez Underwood, a Sister of Mercy from Belmont, North Carolina. At the request of Bishop Baumgartner, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration agreed to administer St. Jude School, built in 1954 under the leadership of Father Raymond Demers, OFM Cap., with the happy labor of more than 500 men and women volunteers who were parishioners of St. Jude Church in Sinajana. Over the years, the school was to undergo changes in grade levels, but from 1970 to 1989, the junior high was limited to grades seven, eight, and nine.

In 1971, a review of the Guam Catholic School System was conducted by then Archdiocese of San Francisco Superintendent of Schools, Msgr. Bernard A. Cummins. This resulted in a consolidation of the junior high programs of CGS and St. Jude Junior High on the latter’s campus with St. Jude’s becoming an archdiocesan school and renamed Bishop Baumgartner Junior High School (BBJHS). In 1986, the Franciscan Sisters who taught and administered BBJHS returned to the mainland and the Sisters of Mercy assumed the administration of the school. In 1989, the school changed its name to Bishop Baumgartner Middle School (BBMS) with the CGS sixth graders transferring to BBJHS.

Throughout the years, CGS and BBMS experienced intense growth and development and received full accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In time, a WASC team recommended a merger of the two schools which eventually occurred in 1995 and the BBMS name was maintained. In October 2018, Archbishop Michael Jude Byrnes appointed lay school administrators Rita Duenas as president and Lila Lujan as principal. Known today as Bishop Baumgartner Memorial Catholic School (BBMCS), the school is a kindergarten through 8th grade school that holds dual accreditation by the Western Catholic Educational Association (WCEA) and WASC. BBMCS continues to be a community that leads students to wholistic excellence, loves all of God’s creation, and lives the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

MISSION

LOVES all of God’s creation
LIVES the Gospel of Jesus Christ
LEADS students to wholistic excellence

|

Let us rejoice when good is done no matter by whom it is accomplished.

Catherine McAuley, Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy